Adventist Media Response and Conversation

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Judgment Day - Adventist Review

Judgment Day by Clifford Goldstein, is a psuedo intellectual treatise on Reality which culminates with this message: "The question I ponder, though, is this: on judgment day, how will I--with all my selfishness, errors, and unrighteousness--fare before the Absolute standard of selflessness, truth, and righteousness? To stand before the Absolute is a thought that makes me cringe with fear! The only hope I harbor, the only one, is that Jesus--"the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6), the "express image" of the Father (Heb. 1:3)--will take my place. How could anyone, with all our contingency and compromise, stand before the Absolute unless we have Someone in whom that Absolute has been met, in whom that Absolute has been fulfilled?

If I have no Substitute, one who embodies the Absolute, then on judgment day I will be condemned, and if condemned, lost. If so, though not in the sense she meant it, my mother would be right: my life's a waste."


Is this what Christianity has become? The God of the Universe, the God of love, the friend of sinners on Judgment day becomes the terror that we must hide from. What kind of Judgment is made if someone takes your place in that judgment? Is there some place in the Bible that tells us Jesus Christ stands in our place in the Judgment. Who are we trying to fool here? Does he really think that God does not see who we are?

And this is one of the leaders of the SDA church. Did he ever read where Jesus the one who is God calls us his friends. It is honestly hard to critique this article since it is so pathetic. There is no substance here just his certainty that he must have a substitute before God.

No comments: