Adventist Media Response and Conversation

Friday, January 19, 2007

Sarah Kelly "Where the Past Meets Today"


CD Review Sarah Kelly Where the Past Meets Today


Sounds like … classic rock ballads with a voice that's part Janis Joplin and Grace Slick, part Alanis Morissette and Jennifer Knapp, and part Rita Springer.

At a glance … Sarah Kelly has a great rock vocal and an appealing classic rock style with honest lyrics, but most all of the songs are saddled with generic encouragement and the same slow rock ballad style.

That was what was stumping me in beginning this review…what does she sound like. My analogy would be Bonnie Tyler without the Jim Steinman arrangements of songs. But it is the power of her voice which immediately grabs your attention. It is a voice that fits her rock ballad style. It is an impressive sound.

The Lyrics are generically Christian and hopeful. This means that to many people they would not really know that this is Christian music. Positive music with Christian undertones would be my way of describing this CD.

While I really like the sound and the lyrics are deep enough to be challenging from songs of love to the search for truth I have to give it the same rating as Christianity Today, 3 out of 5 stars. I want deeper lyrics in my Christian music so that even though I am tempted to give it 4 stars for the music as being something far different from what most Christian music is today I have to refrain because of the lyrical content. That balance between outstanding music and outstanding lyrics, if my daughter is any example this will be a hit with teenage girls.

I recently found out that napster.com offers a free preview service of over 2 million songs. It is a simple registration process and I will start using links to it on my music reviews. Sarah Kelly has samples of her music on her website but I will also place the Napster link to see how it works. Also you can sample her music at Christian Book Distributers.

Be Sure to turn off your pop up blocker (or hold down the ctrl key)then click the link below.
The Beauty Of It All

No comments: