Adventist Media Response and Conversation

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Review Trading Yesterday, The Beauty & The Tragedy


The Beauty & The Tragedy Trading Yesterday

Trading Yesterday is a new group that is fronted by the former keyboardist for Evanescence David Hodges. His group has opened for Chris Tomlin and Hodges recently produced Charlie Hall’s latest CD. Making this CD a very polished and musically appealing CD. The sound is similar to Jars of Clay, though musically the work is far more consistent then Jars of Clay. Like Jars of Clay Trading Yesterday has sort of an acoustic alternative feel to their music.

This is another group that has a positive thoughtful message to their songs but the Christian perspective is read into the background of the music. So it does not rate the 4 stars out of five that I would typically give to either Charlie Hall or Chris Tomlin. When the Christian message is in the forefront I give the artist an additional star. It is a suppositional bias I have in my ratings. While this CD is musically much more pleasant listening then Decemberadio it also only has a couple of good quality Christian songs as did Decemberadio’s recent CD. Though certainly the Christianity is not overt.

The Beauty & The Tragedy’s best tracks are the first couple of songs, One Day and the title track which ends with its refrain, For I am finding out that love will kill and save me: And World On Fire.

Lyrics sample from One Day:

If I could change the currents of our lives / To make the river flow where it's run dry / To be a prodigal of father time / Then I would see you tonight

If I could find the years that went away / Destroying all the cruelty of fate / I must believe that love could find a way / Tonight

Lonely finds me / One day you will come / But I'll wait for love's sake /One day to me, love

3 out of 5 stars.Click on the CD cover art above to listen to their music samples and ordering information.



No comments: